1. The lyrics must be the original work of the songwriter. The melody can be but does not have to be original. The lyrics should include reference to “Holy Island” (Iniscealtra) and "battle".
2.The contest has two categories under 18 years and 18 years and over.
3. Songs must be Traditional in character and may be entered in either the English or Irish language.
4. The Contest is open to national and international songwriters.
5. Songwriters may enter as many songs as they wish for consideration, with €10 entry fee per song.
6. Entries will not be returned – all songwriters should retain a copy of their song submission.
7. Entries may be submitted on a CD, accompanied by a copy of the lyrics; typed or clearly written, or online as mp3 recording, and typed .doc file format for lyrics.
The name of the applicant must not appear on the lyrics page but on a separate cover letter. For online applications – acceptance of application will be confirmed via email upon receipt of entry fee by post.
8. A commercial recording of the entry must not be released for sale before Saturday 27th September.
9. Finalists will be notified by 12th September, 2014.
10.The provisional adjudication will be on the basis of the CDs submitted/mp3 recording, from which 8 adult finalists will be chosen. One winner from the under 18 years category will be chosen, in advance, by adjudicators and will perform and receive their prize on the final concert night.
11. Each of the 8 finalists, and/or their chosen performer must be available to attend the final concert adjudication on Saturday 27th September. Backing tracks are not permitted for this performance. Acoustic guitar is the sole accompaniment accepted.
12. Each songwriter will be responsible for providing the singer his/her entry in the final at his/her own expense.
13. One prize only adult section – €500. Under 18 - €200.
14. Final adjudication will be on the night of the final. Decisions of the adjudication panel will be final.
15. Entry for the contest implies acceptance of all the rules.
16. All postal entries should be sent to: Cliodhna Donnellan, Co-Ordinator Mountshannon Trad Festival, Mountshannon, Co. Clare
All email entries should be sent to: email@example.com
Please include your name, address, phone number, on a cover page and entry fee of €10 with your entry.